I have a Sharp 37" LCD HDTV, I got Comcast's HDTV package with their DCT6412 DVR. While I'm generally happy with everything, there is one problem I've encountered that I'm sure others have encountered. Thanks to Google, AVS Forums and the company who makes the custom remote for Comcast (Universal Electronics) I was able to fix it. Seems that when you set the cable box to record and then hit the "ALL OFF" switch, turning off the power on all devices in your setup, (the normal mode of shutting things down on the Comcast remote), when you turn your unit back on the Mute on the DVR will be turned on with no way of turning it off except for powering off the DVR, even if you're in the middle of recording something.
I got sick and tired of that, my wife records Martha every day so that when I get home i cannot watch CSI or something... worthwhile. ;) So I googled and googled and found the following fix. Keep in mind, this UNLOCKS the volume control on the DVR, changing the volume on the TV after this will require you to hit the TV button and then use the volume, thought the DVR may have its own volume control.
CHANGING VOLUME LOCK
The Comcast Custom 3-Device universal remote control is set at the factory to control the TV volume in all modes. However, you may change the Volume Lock setting to Individual Volume Unlock to unlock a specific device’s volume controls for independent operation in its own mode (e.g., Audio Receiver volume controls in the AUX mode).
Unlocking Volume Control For A Single Device (Individual Volume Unlock):
1. Press a desired mode key where you want volume to be unlocked (e.g., Cable) and controlled within its own mode.
2. Press and hold Setup until the selected mode key blinks twice, then release Setup.
3. Enter 9 - 9 - 3 and then press VOL once. The mode key will blink four times confirming unlock.
4. If desired, repeat steps 1 to 3 (of this section) for each device that
you want volume to be unlocked.
5. Now, after you select a device that has volume unlocked (e.g., AUX),pressing VOL+, VOL-, or Mute, will control the device’s volume only in its own mode.
Hope this helps folks out there googling!
Now... to get a firewire card on my HTPC (Home Theater PC) and record the programs off of it. (Help for that here.)